|My-Quito.com : whale
- Whale watching in Ecuador
can be seen in both the Galapagos and along the Pacific coast,
particularly at Puerto Lopes and the Machalilla National Park
in Manabí. The best spots are Puerto Lopez or the island
of La Plata -there are a number of tour companies that operate
there, or if you are feeling adventurous, you could charter from
a local fisherman. La Plata is often called "the poor man's
Galapagos" because it has many of the birds that can be
seen in the Galapagos Islands (including frigates, boobies and
albatross) and getting there is much cheaper.
- Humpback whales can be seen
from June to September and throughout the year there are Sperm
and Bryde's Whales, as well as Bottlenose, Pantropical Spotted
and Spinner Dolphins.
- General information:
- Darwin Foundation -the Galapagos Islands are home to 24 species
of cetacean -the Charles Darwin Foundation is a good place to
find out more.
- Finca Punta Ayampe
-surfing eco lodge near Machalilla National Park and La Isla
de La Plata that offers whale watching tours from May to September.
Ecuatoriana para el Estudio de Mamíferos Marinos -Ecuadorian Foundation for the Study
of Marine Mammals.
- Guacamayo Tours -whalewatching tours from the Rio Muchacho organic
farm in Bahía de Caráquez.
- Machalilla National Park -profile from ParksinPeril.org.
- Pacific Whales -study of humpback whales in Machalilla National
-article on the humpback whales around Isla de la Plata.
- See also Eco tourism for more details on conservation organisations
- More on the regions:
- Search this site with Google: